Okra is another magical vegetable to cook. When I was a little kid it was not my favourite because of its slime, Actually it is kind of fun. My kids love it especially when it is cooked in olive oil.
Pay attention the okra not to be too big and full of seeds. I generally prefer to buy the smaller ones because the Okra in North America is pretty big in size.
Low in calorie Okra is very rich in dietary fiber and a perfect relief for constipation. It has mucilage substance (slimy nature) that helps with the movement of the gut to move the digested food (peristalsis).Okra is a Vitamin rich vegetable with healthy amounts of Vitamin A , Folates, Vitamin K and Vitamin C.
After washing the Okra you need to cut the cap of it in the shape of a cone. If you cut the whole cap then you will have a slimy okra dish.
1 lb okra
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 onion diced in small pieces
1 ripe tomato, peeled and cut in cubes (you can use the diced can tomatoes 1/2 can)
juice of a lemon
This is a very easy to prepare recipe.
- Add the ingredients with the following order o a pan with lid.
- Olive oil, onions,okra,lemon juice, tomato and salt.
- Close the lit and cook in low heat for 30-45 minutes. Mix with a spoon half the way.
- Check if the okras are soft enough to serve.
- Serve it when it cools down.