Eggplants are one of the main goodness of the Turkish cuisine.They are not very well known in North America. Eggplant was originally domesticated in India and Bangladesh and spread to the rest of the world by Arabs. It is a really tasty vegetable if it grows in a sunny climate and cooked properly. There are different varieties available and the right one depends on your recipe. Beautiful display of PATLICAN (Eggplant in Turkish) in Cesme Alacati street market.
The best eggplant to use for your recipes in North America is the Chinese Eggplants. When you buy them pay attention to their skin to be shiny and pick the ones that are soft. When it is hard it has a lot of seeds in it which is not desirable for cooking.
Eggplants are not only tasty but healthy as well. Low in calories but high in nutrients. Eggplants have NASUNIN , a phytonutrient provides protection from oxidative damage to cellular structures an gives the distinctive colour and flavour to eggplants.
Juice of a lemon
Bunch of Parsley
2 medium Heirloom Tomatos
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Punch the eggplants with a knife and place them on a wax paper.
- Place them in oven at 350 F and cook them until they are soft inside.
- Peel them when they cool down with the help of a knife. While you peel take out the hard seeds.
- Cut them in pieces and put it in the serving plate where you already fill with the juice of the lemon.
- Grate the garlic , add together with the olive oil and mix.
- Dice the tomatoes in cubes and add to the mixture.
- Add finely chopped parsley and salt , mix well.